Last night I concocted my own version of several Broccoli, Cheddar soup recipes I found on line. Many recipes I read were full of butter, cream and processed cheese. I wanted something healthier and less caloric. My family LOVED this soup, including my picky five year old. My 10 year old said it was better than Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup…wow! Try it and let me know what you think.
Chicken, Broccoli, Cheddar Soup Recipe
Chicken, Broccoli, Cheddar Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 C. onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 8 cups (2 32 oz. boxes) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 good-sized chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, broken into small florets and stem pieces
- 2 1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
Chicken, Broccoli, Cheddar Soup Recipe Directions
- In a large soup pot, boil chicken breasts until cooked through. Remove and cool chicken. Discard water.
- Shred chicken with a fork.
- In the same pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, and saute until onions are transparent.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms.
- Slowly add broth, being sure to stir continuously to create a smooth, slightly thickened broth. If you want it a bit thicker, add an additional tablespoon of flour while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken, broccoli, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until broccoli is tender – about 10 minutes, depending on how big the broccoli pieces are.
- Gradually mix in cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Stir well until cheeses are incorporated.