I have been making this Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe for my family for years. Any broccoli soup that you can get a 7 year old to request and ask for seconds is a good recipe!
I found this Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from cdkitchen and made a couple changes to make it my own. This is a home made soup recipe, don’t feel intimated to cook home made, this is an easy to follow recipe that anyone can do. It doesn’t take a long time to cook home made broccoli soup either, it will be on your table in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it is very inexpensive since it calls for ingredients you most likely have most of in your refrigerator.
The below recipe serves 4 and can easily be doubled or tripled.
Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
I like to pair this Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe with hot garlic bread or breadsticks.
Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 c milk
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP chopped onion
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper (original recipe calls for white pepper)
- 1/2 tsp oregano (original recipe calls for thyme – I didn’t have thyme so I used my Substituting Ingredients book to find a replacement of oregano)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 c cooked broccoli (original recipe says 1 cup finely chopped broccoli – I finely chop 1/2 cup broccoli and add 1 cup of larger pieces of broccoli because my family likes larger pieces in soups)
Easy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Directions:
- Cook chopped onions in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in boiling water and bouillon cubes. Cook slowly until thick.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Stir in cheese and broccoli. Heat through.