Last night I made my mom’s Hot Pretzel recipe from her days as a preschool teacher and director. Yes, this recipe is so easy that she made it with three and four year olds! These yummy treats go together quickly – despite the fact that they contain yeast, there is no kneading or rising needed.
They make a great starchy side to a meal or a fun snack.
Hot Pretzel Recipe
Yield: about 22 pretzels
Hot Pretzel Recipe Ingredients
- 1 package yeast – regular or quick rise
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (not hot)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- coarse salt (I like to use sea salt)
Hot Pretzel Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add salt and sugar and stir.
- Gradually blend in flour.
- On a slightly floured surface, pinch off about 1 heaping Tbsp of dough, and roll into a strip about 8 inches long.
- Twist into pretzel shape (or whatever shape you want – I’ve made these like bread sticks before).
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat steps 5-7 with remaining dough until it is all gone.
- Brush pretzels with egg white.
- Sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.