Growing up, we’d always head to the beach for our Summer Vacation. As a mom now, we’ve carried on this tradition. To me, there is nothing better than enjoying the beauty and fun of the beach and ocean. Virginia Beach is a great option of us in Ohio, it is close enough to drive without your kids going nuts, yet far enough away to be a true vacation escape.
Below are some tips for what my family would consider the perfect Virginia Beach Vacation and how we’d “Love the Moment in Virginia Beach”.
11 Ways to Love the Moment in Virginia Beach for Families
- Plan to spend plenty of time relaxing and playing on the beach, devote at least 2 full days to do nothing but beach activities, pack a cooler, blankets, sunshade, kite, beach toys, book, and plenty of sunscreen! Be sure to go back to the beach after dark with flashlights to find crabs scurrying about.
- Rent a bike or roller blades to explore the renowned Virginia Beach Boardwalk.
- Go Fishing! Whether you are a novice or a professional, fishing in the ocean is exciting. Check out Virginia Beach best fishing locations. Whether you fish from the pier, a boat, or the coast, it is sure to provide an adventurous outing!
- Visit the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk (just 18 miles away). We always visit the zoo while on vacation, especially since if you have an Akron or Cleveland Zoo Membership, you can get in FREE at the reciprocal Virginia Zoo.
- Visit the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center where you’ll see more than 300 species and experience the Atlantic Ocean in a fun and educational way.
- Go on an Beach Eco Tour where you’ll explore the scenic waterways and wildlife close up. My family always enjoys learning about the wildlife in detail in this sort of hands-on, active way.
- Take a Guided Dolphin Tour, seeing these beautiful creatures up close is incredible, plus a boat ride is super fun for kids.
- Visit a local park like one of the Preservation Virginia or Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge where you’ll see a lighthouse and learn more about the environment and history of Virgina or find a park with a playground like the Mount Trashmore Park.
- Plan a day trip excursion to a theme park or waterpark such as Ocean Breeze Waterpark . If you are traveling down from Ohio, stopping by King’s Dominion on the way there or on the way home is a great way to break up the driving time and is tons of fun!
- Preserve your vacation with a family portrait taken on the beach with a company that specializes in it like Expressions. Having your family photo on the beach will result in a stunning photo, fantastic Christmas cards for next year, and a way to remember your trip forever!
- Enjoy local Virginia Beach cuisine. This is the time to introduce your kids to shrimp, crab, oysters, fish, and more! You might be pleasantly surprised at their reaction. We like to treat our family to one night of fine dining, a good choice is Steinhilber’s, a local favorite since 1939! Check out the Virginia Beach Food Tours for an all-out experience.
This is the exact sort of itinerary we’d follow for my family to “Love the Moment in Virginia Beach”.
What would you add or change to make it the best beach vacation for your family?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Virginia Beach blogging program. For more information on how you can participate, click here.