It is easy to make a Templeton the Rat Costume for under $10. Templeton was the rat in Charlotte’s web. In the beginning he was very gluttonous and not friendly. In the end, he was a hero and friend to Wilbur and the other barn yard friends. My son’s school had a Charlotte’s Web day where everyone wore a Charlotte’s Web costume. My son chose to be Templeton the Rat.
How to Make Templeton the Rat Costume
- Dress your child in a solid “rat” color like gray, brown, or black.
- Add a large round piece of pink felt for the pink tummy area
- Take a long pink piece of either felt or fabric, cut it as long as you want the tail to be, fold it in half, stitch it – I hand-stitched, turn it inside out so the stitch side is in. Draw black lines to make it look more rat-like. Fill it with newspapers. The newspapers makes the tail crunchy and “rat” like. Attach to child’s pants with a safety pen.
- For the mask, I used an old hat and covered it in pink felt. I just hand stitched the felt together on the inside of the hat – I tried glue but it wasn’t strong enough. I stuffed extra felt to make a snout.
- Then, I cut ears out of felt in both pink and gray. I glued the gray to the back of the ears and then stitched both to the hat.
- I glued on eyes, using craft glue – you could use hot glue too.
- I stitched waxy pipe cleaner to the snout to create whiskers.
The total costume was less than $10! I think it turned out really cute and so did my 2nd grader. I’m not a crafty person at all, so if I can do it, so can you! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Comment Via Facebook