First off, the AkronOhioMoms staff is composed of Conservative and Liberal writers- and we even get along:) We rarely write about politics, but, this time, this story, is too hard to pass up!
Harvard University Report on Fourth of July Parades
Harvard University published a study in March of this year regarding Independence Day Parades- and how they supposedly energize Republicans MORE than they energize Democrats. More importantly, the study says that kids that attend parades turn into voting Republicans (slightly more often) as adults.
“Fourth of July celebrations in the United States shape the nation’s political landscape by forming beliefs and increasing participation, primarily in favor of the Republican Party,” said the report from Harvard.
So many questions for the Right
- Are Republicans more patriotic than Democrats?
- Does the political right simply connect better with the symbolism of our country?
- Is it because of Veterans involvement?
Questions for the Left
- Are these numbers even higher than the errors allowed in statistics?
- Isn’t the flag red, white, and BLUE?
- Should Democrat politicians skip parades like the study suggests?
4 Main Points from this Report
- Parade attendance for youths increases the likelihood of identifying as a Republican by 2% or more.
- An adult parade attendee will more likely vote than a non-attendee (just 1% increase)
- Adult parade attendees will vote 4% more often for a Republican Candidate.
- 3% increase in the chance they will make a political contribution.
The report also says that all of the above is permanent – like riding a bicycle.
So, as per the report, if you’re looking for a super-patriotic Fourth of July- stick with a Republican leaning town more than a Democratic leaning one. Suppousedly their more intense in the first place! Maybe the report is wrong- but we’d love to hear what you have to say!
What’s your take on this?
We’re guessing that some Republicans are gonna howl with this one, and some Democrats are going to say its just silly- so… what do you have to say? Comment below.