See updated Broccoli Cheese Vegetable Soup Recipe here – for an easily printable version! Better photos too compared to the original in this post below!
If you are looking for a variation on Broccoli Cheese Soup, try this Broccoli Cheese Vegetable Soup. I got the basics of this recipe from Better Recipes and fixed it up to my family’s taste. Not only does this Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe surprise you with bacon but also a couple other vegetables, thus the name Broccoli Cheese Vegetable Soup.
If your kids don’t normally like Broccoli Soup, they might like this recipe because of the bacon! Even my picky eater as of late had seconds on this soup tonight!
This recipe is easy to moderate. Yields 10-15 bowls of hearty soup.
Broccoli Cheese Vegetable Soup Ingredients:
- 1 cup +3 TB butter or margarine (8 TBSP is optional of this total)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth (I use 5 bouillon cubes dissolved in 5 cups boiling water)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped thin
- 5 carrots, chopped thin
- 2 lbs. broccoli, cut into florets (you may add the steams thinly chopped as well)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 8-10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
Broccoli Cheese Vegetable Soup Directions:
- Cook 1 lb bacon, I cook at 400 degrees in oven for 12 minutes
- Melt 2 TB butter in large saucepan.
- Saute onion and garlic
- Add chicken broth, celery, and carrots. (I also add the broccoli stems to this step) Bring to boil then simmer until carrots are tender.
- Add broccoli florets , simmer 10 minutes
- Melt 9 TBSP butter in skillet.
- Add flour and salt. Whisk until smooth. Cook on medium heat, constantly whisking until it bubbles.
- Gradually whisk in milk and the remaining 8 TBSP butter (optional). Constantly whisking on medium heat until it comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir in the nutmeg.
- Remove from heat; stir in add cheese until it melts.
- Pour cheese mixture into broccoli mixture, stirring until combined; heat through.
- Add crumbled bacon to the top and serve.