One of my favorite things about Christmas is baking treats for my family and friends. I usually bake with my kids or have a friend over to bake with me, which makes it even more special. Kohl’s is offering a new Holiday Cheer Cookbook this season packed with recipes for festive treats. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Plus, you can feel good about it because when you purchase it, the proceeds go right back to your community since it is part of their Kohl’s Cares program. Below is a recipe that I can’t wait to try for Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sticks! Happy Baking!
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sticks Recipe
Credit line: Reprinted with permission from Holiday Cheer © 2010 by Hearst Books, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
From Good Housekeeping
Prep 1 hour plus freezing and cooling
Cook 11 minutes per batch
Makes 5 dozen cookies
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sticks Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- Green and red paste food coloring
- 5 oz. white chocolate, melted
- 6 green or red starlight mint candies, crushed
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sticks Recipe Instructions
- Prepare a Basic Cookie Dough recipe like this one or the one on page 14 of Holiday Cheer
- Transfer half to another bowl.
- Stir peppermint extract into 1 portion of dough.
- Divide peppermint dough in half; transfer half to another bowl.
- Tint 1 portion green, the other red.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 9- by 9-inch metal baking pan with plastic wrap, extending wrap over 2 sides of pan.
- Pat plain dough in pan. Freeze 10 minutes.
- Pat green dough over half of plain dough; pat red dough over remaining plain dough. Freeze 10 minutes.
- Lift dough from pan using plastic wrap; place on cutting board. Cut dough into thirds so that one-third is all red on top, one-third is all green on top, and middle third is half red and half green on top.
- Cut each third crosswise into 3/8-inch strips.
- Twist strips and place, 11/2 inches apart, on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden-brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Repeat.
- Dip 1 end of each cookie into chocolate and place on waxed paper.
- Sprinkle chocolate with crushed mints.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes to set.
- Store Chocolate-Dipped Peppermint Sticks in tightly sealed container, with waxed paper between layers, at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 3 months.