I found a variation of Baked Explorations Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars Recipe while writing about the Welch’s #PB&JYourWay contest. You can find the original recipe on the Cookies & Cups blog. She made a couple changes and so did I. This recipe makes a large batch, perfect for parties. I even froze 1/2 for later! This recipe is easy, but time consuming.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars Recipe
This recipe takes a lot of time because you have to bake the cookie crust and chill. Then, add the peanut butter filling and chill. Then bake all together and chill for another 2-1/2 hours. Make the bars a day ahead or at least 4-5 hours before you plan to serve.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars Recipe Ingredients
For the Cookie Crust
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1 egg
For the Peanut Butter and Jelly Filling
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter (about 1 jar)
- 1 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c grape or strawberry jelly or preserves (I use Welch’s Naturals Strawberry & Concord Grape Spreads – read my Welch’s Naturals Review)
For the Crumb Topping
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 c brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 c oats (calls for old fashioned but I used quick oats)
- 6 Tbsp cold butter, cut in cubes
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars Recipe Directions
Cookie Crust Directions
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Spray cooking spray in 9×13 baking dish
- Combine sugar, flour, salt and butter. Mix on medium speed until dough begins to hold together.
- Add egg and mix again until dough comes together.
- Press dough evenly in the bottom of prepared pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet to avoid a burnt bottom and bake 20-25 minutes – until dough is golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°
Peanut Butter Filling Directions
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and beat until incorporated and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Spread evenly on top of cooled crust.
Crumb Topping Directions
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and brown sugar.
- Whisk in the oats.
- Add cubes of cold butter and beat on low speed until loose crumbs form.
- Take pan out of freezer.
- Spread 2 cups of jelly or preserves on top of peanut butter layer. (I spread 1/2 with Welch’s Naturals Concord Grape Spread and 1/2 with Welch’s Naturals Strawberry Spread.)
- Cover the jelly layer completely with crumb topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes ,until top is brown – the edges may bubble.
- Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes
- Refrigerate for another 2 hours to cool completely. (I placed mine outside to cool since it was cold outside so I didn’t heat up my refrigerator!)
- Cut into squares and enjoy with a glass of cold milk.
Like this post, Pin, and share if you like this recipe!