50 million Americans (including my son) suffer from allergies according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Dr. Joshua Riff, Target’s medical director and dad to 3 kids says there is no known cure for allergies. However, he offers many easy ways manage and prevent the sniffles, sneezes, breathing difficulties, and itchy eyes associated with seasonal allergies.
Getting your allergies under control while vacationing is especially important or it could ruin your entire trip. Check out the below video for practical advice on traveling this Summer with allergies.
Video with Dr. Joshua Riff on Seasonal Allergies
My 6 year old son has had several episodes that have been severe enough to keep him out of school and stuck inside this season because of his allergies. I’ve spent nearly $500 in doctor visits, prescriptions, and over the counter medications to get his allergies under control since May. Finally, he has had good relief for nearly 2 weeks. I took both Elijah’s doctor’s advice and that of Dr. Joshua Riffon from Target to develop the best battle plan.
The pharmacists at Target are always super friendly and helpful. I’ve found Target to be a 1-stop destination for everything you need for seasonal allergies. I’ll highlight what helped Elijah below with the help from Target.
Dr. Riff’s Mom’s Must Have Seasonal Shopping List
It is always good for moms to be prepared with items before the seasonal allergies strike. Nobody wants to run to the store with a sick kid. Be prepared with Dr. Riff’s list.
- Children’s Allergy Melts by Target brand are dissolving grape-flavored tablets that make it easy for kids to take. My son likes it better than the liquid too. $3.50 for 18 tablets
- Now, you can get relief that was previously only available by prescription. Allegra is now available over the countery for just $29.99 for 45 tablets that offer 24 hours of relief.
- Neti Pots are great to flush the nasal cavity to help with congestion. I personally started using the neti pot and have had good success. I don’t think my kids are ready for it quite yet. Retails $12.99
- Clean the air with an air purifier. Air purifiers clean the air by removing harmful particles and pollutants such as dust, allergens, mold, and dander. Kid-friendly penguin or shark are perfect for kids rooms. Retails $69.
- Of course you can get all your other seasonal allergies needs and save money by using the Target private label such as tissues, wipes, paper towels, and more.
- Another helpful hint is to Keep it Clean. Dust and Vacuum weekly. Wash and change bedding often to fight off dust mites. Green Works is a great non-toxic cleanser to consider that is safe for kids. Products are affordable staring at just $2.49.
How Elijah Found Relief
- Our doctor suggested just what Dr. Riff did, Allegra over the counter. It was much less expensive than the prescription Elijah was previously taking at $70 a month! I was happy to get the savings at Target. It saves us more than $40 a month!
- Eye Drops, we are using Pad a day, which is a prescription. The $107 eye drops are worth every dime for the instant relief he gets from scratchy, swollen eyes.
- Air Purifier. See my review below. I am so thrilled with the Crane True HEPA Air Purifier. I can tell it is allowing my son to breathe better and sleep better in his room.
- Keep it Clean. We have solid floors by Tarkett in Elijah’s room. I’m 100% certain that it has helped him because I know that it is clean. I sweep twice weekly and mop once weekly. We also dust and change bedding weekly.
- Arnold, our furry, shedding dog got a hair cut and was no longer allowed to sleep in Elijah’s room due to pet dander.
Crane True HEPA Air Purifier Review
Ever since we moved to the woods, Elijah’s allergies have been flared up with each season change. My in-laws said we should get an air purifier but I didn’t know much about them, so I put it off. I didn’t know that indoor air quality is 2-5x more polluted than outdoor air, did you? How I wish we had the Crane True HEPA Air Purifier year ago.
Crane does an excellent job making this product kid-friendly. It is an adorable shape of a penguin, making it great for boys and girls. Also available in Shark design. Plus, if your child decides to pick up the penguin, it automatically turns off.
The Crane True HEPA Air Purifier using ultraviolet light technology to destroy viruses and bacteria in the air. I didn’t know that! Now I know why my son was the only one in our family that didn’t get the terrible flu-like virus that my husband, daughter, and I suffered with last week. He was the only one using a personal air purifier. That would be the only possibility in my mind on how he was spared when he was with us the entire time. That alone makes this air purifier worth even penny.
The air purifier also eliminates pollen particles, molds, and microns that are invisible to the naked eye. My car sits outside near one of my son’s bedroom window. It gets covered with a yell0w/green glaze of pollen. The thought never crossed my mind that the same layer of pollen sitting on my car is flowing through into my son’s bedroom. We keep that window closed now, and keep the air purifier on.
The Crane True HEPA Air Purifier comes with 5 Levels of Filtration to help remove airborne allergens, bacteria, viruses, and germs.
- Washable Particle Filter – captures things like dust, hair, lint.
- True HEPA Filter, captures up to 99.97% of airborne dust and pollen as small as 0.3 microns. Also reduces smoke, mold spores, and pet dander.
- Active Carbon Filter to absorb household odors like tobacco, pets, garbage, and cooking.
- Photocatalyst Filter works with the Germicidal UV light to advance oxidation to eliminate airborne odors and neutralizes harmful fumes.
- Germicidal UV Light kills viruses and bacteria for germ free fresh air.
With protection like this, I’m off to buy another Crane Air Purifier for Elizabeth’s bedroom and our bedroom.
Buy Crane True HEPA Air Purifier
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to Target who provided the product for review.