“You gave a sniff and I gave a smile.”
That’s what it was like when we met our new fury soulmate this summer when we adopted Cali, our German shepherd mix from a shelter. She has been the joy of our Summer and brings a smile to our faces every day since. It’s time we say Thanks to our fury friends.
How to Travel with Your Dog this Labor Day Weekend
What better way to say “Thanks” than to take your fury companion on a road trip. 88% of long weekend travelers are going by car, not airplane, so why not take fido with you? Our friends at Milo’s Kitchen have a great article on How to Travel with Your Dog this Labor Day (and anytime). Here is a quick summary, find more details in their original article.
1) Joy Ride – Their first tip is to take shorter joy rides before making a long distance trip to let your dog know that the car = fun, not just a trip to the vet.
2) Crate Time = Treat Time – Traveling in a crate is the safest way to travel, if he associates the crate with treats, he’ll be begging to jump in!
3) Pup Pampering – Pamper your pup to keep him calm and relaxed for his trip.
4) Bring a Touch of Home – Dogs like things that are familiar, bring those homey items along like this Security Dog Blanket.
5) Spoil Your Dog – Reward your dog for all good behavior.
If you haven’t traveled with your dog before, you need to be prepared for destinations that are good for dogs – it can’t just be kid-friendly! Check out this great article on the Top 50 Labor Day Doggy Destinations. Ohio scored twice right in Summit County!
#25: Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Ohio) (27)
#29: Bow Wow Beach (Stow, Ohio)
AkronOhioMoms love dogs, read all our dog articles including a review on Milo’s Kitchen!