I can always feel a cold sore coming on, it is that tell-tell sign of tingling. I know that if I don’t treat it right away, it will be a constant pain for the next 1-1/2 weeks! About 25% of Americans will have at least one cold sore this year. Do you know what causes cold sores and how to treat a cold sore?
What Causes Cold Sores?
Take the Cold Sore Quiz:
- It is possible to cure cold sores permanently. FALSE, cold sores are from a virus
- Treating a cold sore at the first sign of an outbreak can shorten healing time. TRUE
- Injury to the mouth and lack of sleep are not triggers for cold sores. FALSE
- Pricking your cold sore with a needle can relieve the pain and speed healing. FALSE, this could prolong the healing and scar you
- It’s okay to kiss during the cold sore cycle, especially towards the end. FALSE, viruses can spread
- You should start treatment at the first tingle. TRUE
- Sun exposure during the winter is not a trigger for cold sores. FALSE
- A worn-down body finds it harder to keep the virus inactive. TRUE
- Applying alcohol or witch hazel to dry out a cold sore can heal it. FALSE
- Holding a tea bag or ice on a cold sore can speed up healing. FALSE
How to Treat a Cold Sore
- Get enough sleep and don’t get stressed out. A worn-down and stressed out body is more likely to get sick.
- Follow healthy skincare and diet regimen to avoid breakouts.
- At first sign of cold sore, apply your treatment.
- Don’t share personal items or kiss for the entire cold sore life cycle
Best Cold Sore Treatment
Abreva is the only over-the-counter medication approved by the FDA that is proven to shorten healing time. Abreva begins to work as soon as you apply it. Typical cold sores last 8-10 days, sometimes longer.
Abreava is the only FDA approved over-the-counter treatment to shorten healing time, average is just 4 days. Use as directed, 5 times a day until your cold sore is healed (max of 10 days).
How to Use Abreva Cold Sore Treatment
- Remove cosmetics before applying, you may reapply cosmetics after applying Abreva.
- Apply directly to your cold sore at first sing of tingle, redness, bump or itch
- Leave the cold sore alone – don’t pick, scratch or squeeze
- Wash hands after touching cold sore or applying Abreva
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare is one of the world’s largest over-the-counter consumer healthcare products . They are the makers of Abreva and well known brands such as Nicorette® and NicoDerm Aquafresh®, Sensodyne®, and TUMS®.
Like Abreva on Facebook.
Follow Abreva on Twitter.
You can buy Abreva nationwide at retailers and on Amazon.com. Get a $2 Abreva Coupon here.
Win Abreva (3 Prizes) (Cl0sed)
You have the chance to win Abreva Cold Sore Treatment! There will be 3 winners!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook.
Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on February 4, 2012 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond or another winner will be selected!
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to Abreva who provided the products for review and giveaway.