The weather has been gorgeous lately, in Akron, Ohio. That means we’ve all been busy doing as many thing outside as we can! Whether it is sports, landscaping, gardening, or playing with our kids, we’re doing more, and in turn, feeling more sore muscles! Ouch!
Most likely, when you have aches and pains, you reach for an over-the-counter pain pill. But is that really the best and safest option? What about topical pain relief products like gels, sprays, and patches that instead directly target the sore muscles in the affected area? Salonpas, a company that pioneered the development of transdermal pain relief patches has a full line of over-the-counter products designed to relieve everyday aches and pains.
Some Background on Salonpas Pain Relieving Products
I had not heard of the Salonpas brand of transdermal pain relief patches – I’ve been using another brand for years now since I tend to suffer from lower back pain. I was really impressed to find out that Salonpas Pain Relief Patches are the first and only FDA-approved OTC pain patch. Salonpas has also been around for a long time – since 1934, and its parent company, Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc. was founded way back in 1847. Salonpas began first in Asia, and now sells in over 50 countries.
My Experience with Salonpas Pain Relieving Products
Like I said, I’m not new to the use of transdermal pain relief patches. I’ve been using them for years to relieve recurrent lower back pain and menstrual cramps. I like the idea of targeting the pain I have with a pain patch or spray rather than taking a pill that needs to run through my whole body and be processed by my liver. I was anxious to give the Salonpas brand a try. And try I did! Salonpas sent me 5 of their products to review:
- Salonpas Pain Relief Patch – Contains 3% menthol and 10% methyl salicylate. This patch is effective for up to 12 hours! With an over-the-counter pill, you’d be dosing yourself at least 2 times for the same amount of pain relief.
- Salonpas Pain Relieving Gel-Patch, Hot – Contains 1.25% menthol and .025% capsaicin (found in hot peppers). This gel cloth feels cool at first, then quickly heats up providing up to 8 hours of pain relief. It’s like a cordless heating pad!
- Salonpas Arthritis Pain Patch -Contains 3% menthol and 10% methyl salicylate. This patch is effective for up to 12 hours!
- Salonpas Pain Relieving Jet Spray – Contains 3% menthol and 10% methyl salicylate (the active ingredient in aspirin). Offers a strong cooling effect on the skin as soon as you apply it. No greasy feeling is left on the skin. Great to slip into your sports bag!
- Salonpas Pain Relieving Massage Foam – Contains 3% menthol and 10% methyl salicylate. This product combines the benefits of a great massage and a quick drying, clean medicine. Spray on the foam for 3 seconds, and rub in to affected area for pain relief until the “crackling” sound disappears.
Did the Pain Relieving Products Work?
All of the products worked well, and did a nice job relieving pain. My favorites would have to be the Salonpas Pain Relieving Gel-Patch HOT and the Salonpas Pain Relieving Massage Foam. I loved the gel-patch HOT on my sore back. I applied it before I went to bed, it heated up my lower back area, and it kept working until I woke up the next morning. My back felt relaxed, and free of pain and muscles tightness. And, I wasn’t tied down to an electric heating pad – nice.
After coming home from a great workout at the gym using weights, my arms and legs were in pain! My husband was kind enough to massage my shoulders with some of the Salonpas Pain Relieving Massage Foam. I was worried it might feel sticky or overly dry once he rubbed it in. Truthfully, I couldn’t feel any residue at all after my skin absorbed the foam. And the crackling sound of the foam as he massaged my shoulders was kind of cool! Within minutes, my shoulders were feeling much improved. So much so that I went ahead and massaged some of the Salonpas Massage Foam into my upper legs as well. My quads were sooooo happy!
Buy Salonpas Topical Pain Relief Products
Salonpas products at online retailers like Drugstore.com and Amazon.com, and at local stores like Target, Walmart, Marc’s, CVS, and RiteAid.
Win Salonpas Topical Pain Relief Products
Salonpas is graciously providing one AOM reader with a Pain Relief Prize Pack consisting of one of each of the five items I reviewed – a $50 value!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook.
Contest ends at 11:59 pm EST on June 6, 2012 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond!
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to Salonpas who provided us with the products for review and giveaway.