It’s World Mental Health Day…and the perfect time to “check your stress”. According to the American Heart Association, stress and poor mental health can negatively impact your physical health, leading to an increased risk of heart disease or stroke. We have all experienced stress in our work environment. Here are 5 easy ways you can lower your stress at work in just minutes.
- Take a Moment – Sit and just breathe! Set a timer for 90 seconds, close your eyes, and take deep, cleansing breaths. Try this exercise several times a day, and you will feel calmer and more relaxed every time.
- Walk Away – Get up out of your chair and move! Many of us are at a desk all day, staring at a screen. De-stress with a walk around the block, or even around the office. Set aside time on your calendar and set reminders. You will return to your work re-invigorated and ready for the next task.
- Stretch it Out – Many of us carry stress in our necks and shoulders. Take time every day to loosen those areas with stretching. Set a timer for one minute and roll your shoulders backward and forwards for 30 seconds and then roll your head in circles for 30 seconds to stretch your neck. You’ll feel looser and more relaxed every time.
- Take Your Break – Don’t work through your lunch break. We all need those precious minutes to eat a healthy lunch and chat with co-workers and friends. Work can wait while you focus on fun conversations that can help you decompress. Eating a healthy lunch can also help power you through the rest of your day.
- Clean it Out- Declutter your workspace before you leave for the day. A scattered work area can make you feel less in control and increase stress. Get rid of scraps of paper and any food wrappers you may have, and keep your space clean and tidy. You’ll start your day with an organized workspace and less stress.
Comment Via Facebook