There are lots of things I love about summer. But the thing I hate the most is dealing with mosquitoes! Not only because those little buggers riddle my family with itchy bumps, but also because of the potential health risk those thirsty blood suckers are to all of us! West Nile Virus has once again been found in the Akron, Ohio area. Blech!
I also don’t care for loading up my family with all sorts of chemical bug sprays – I just don’t think it is healthy. But in the past, we have had too. My eldest daughter, Alyssa, is particularly loved by mosquitoes. Unfortunately, her body also reacts extremely to mosquito bites. She doesn’t just get little itchy bumps from them, she gets huge, swollen welts.
Suffice it to say, I am always on the look out for the latest mosquito vanquishing products on the market. I was skeptically hopeful when ThermaCELL sent one of the lanterns for me to review.
So, when the Fourth of July weekend rolled around, and brought steamy hot temperatures with it, it was a good time to give the Mosquito Repellent Lantern a try. 10 of us went to see the fireworks in Hudson. We had a pretty good spread of camp chairs, blankets and people. Could the lantern protect us all? The box says it covers a 15″ x 15″ area.
Before dusk rolled in, we got the lantern started. The directions say it is most effective 10-30 minutes after being “lit.” It operates with a butane cartridge that lasts up to 12 hours – but don’t worry, there’s no open flame. Getting the lantern going is really a simple process. Once the batteries that control the light in the lantern have been inserted, all you need to do is screw the butane cartridge into the bottom of the lantern. Add one of the three ThermaCELL repellent mats that come with the lantern, and now it’s ready for use.
Our Results – Did it Work or Not?
Bugs were everywhere that fireworks evening! And yet, not one of us got even a little nibble from mosquitoes – 10 people, NO BITES! We also pulled out the lantern the following night when we had 24 people out on our patio for a family reunion. Once again, it protected us all from the mosquitoes. Impressive!
What I like About the ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent Lantern
- It works! Thermacell says it is 98% effective in repelling mosquitoes, black flies, and other flying insects. After our experience using it, I believe it! You can also see all sorts of unsolicited praise from customers who LOVE the ThermaCELL lantern on their Facebook page.
- It is DEET free! The ThermaCELL repellent is a synthetic copy of a substance found in chrysanthemum flowers.
- Not gagging odor like citronella oil.
- No open flames or hot wax, so it is safe.
- Totally portable – you can use it in your backyard, camping, on a picnic, on the beach, where ever!
- The lantern can be used as a light (battery operated), a mosquito repellent, or both.
- It has a really nice appearance, and fits with any patio decor.
Buy ThermaCELL’s Mosquito Repellent Lantern
The mosquito repellent lanterns can be purchased on ThermaCELL’s website for $29.99, or at local retailers like The Home Depot, Wal Mart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, The Tractor Supply Company, and more. Right now, buy it at The Home Depot and save $5.00! Their every day low price is $24.94.
Win ThermaCELL’s Mosquito Repellent Lantern (Closed)
Updated: 8-12-11 Winner Announced: Congratulations, Jayne Townsley.
ThermaCELL is generously offering one lucky AkronOhioMoms.com fan their own ThermaCELL’s Mosquito Repellent Lantern.