Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show your loved ones you care with something baked with love. My Petite Fours Heart Cakes are fun to make with Wilton cookie cutters and easy too. If you are not a cake decorator or just want to make something special that won’t take a lot of time, this is the recipe for you.
- 2.25 cup unsalted butter, room temperature Divided, 1.5 cups for cake batter, .75 cup for frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- .33 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2.5 tsp vanilla extract Divided, 1.5 tsp for cake batter, .5 tsp for frosting
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- .125 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- .33 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 6 cups powdered sugar Divided, 3 cups for frosting and 3 cups for fondant
- 2 Tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- .5 tsp Almond Extract
- .5 tsp red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Spray 12×17 inch half sheet pan with baking cooking spray or grease. Line with parchment paper.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy on high for about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and beat on high for another minute. Add sugar and beat on high for another minute. Add sour cream and vanilla and beat on high until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time.
- Add cake flour, baking powder, and salt and beat on medium speed until combined - do not overmix.
- Pour cake batter evenly into prepared pan. Bang the pan on the counter to allow air bubbles to escape.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of cake completely clean. Alow cake to cook inside pan.
- Invert cooled cake onto cutting board. Use a sharp bread knife to slice cake in half and cut all along the outside edges of cake to have a smooth line.
- Cut each rectangle horizontally.
- Prepare buttercream frosting. Beat butter on medium for 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Beat for 30 seconds at high for 3 minutes. Add more sugar or cream to get to desired consistency.
- You should now have 4 large rectangles after cutting.
- Add frosting to one rectangle in a thick layer.
- Add raspberry jam to another layer.
- Place the cake layer with raspberry jam on top of the frosted layer.
- Place a 3rd plain cake rectangle on top of the jam layer. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour covered with plastic wrap or up to 3 days.
- With the remaining layer, cut into thirds and repeat frosting and jam process. Refrigerate.
- Cut your cakes using Wilton Heart Cookie Cutters into tiny heart shaped petit fours.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar to saucepan with .25 cup water and 1 Tbsp corn syrup. Stir until combined and cook over LOW heat until reaches but doesn't exceed 100°F.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract and food coloring.
- Drizzle fondant icing over hearts. You may choose to keep only on top, drip down side, or cover entire hearts. Let set until dry.
This is a sponsored post.
I love that Wilton makes it easy to make heartfelt treats with seasonal bakeware, decorations, and more every season like colorful sprinkles, hearts sprinkles ,royal icing decorations that can quickly turn any treat into a Valentine’s Day treat, red heart cake pan for any heart shaped cake or even chocolate chip cookie cake, heart cookie cutter 4-piece set that I used for this recipe, and “LOVE” and Hearts Resealable Treat Bags that are perfect for giving treats to friends and family.
For this recipe, we used the heart cookie cutter set to make petit fours in different sizes.
Larger hearts are perfect for giving as a gift to teachers, grandparents, or sharing with your loved one as a dessert for two.
It is extra festive with a simple fondant icing glaze on top.
The smaller hearts with a crinkle edge are the perfect size for petit fours, about a 2-bite size!Choose to add a fondant icing if you’d like either just on top or the entire cake. We chose to let the icing run along the edges.
“Hearts are always the first thing that comes to mind with Valentine’s Day and this year, we are going all out with heart-shaped bakeware, pink, red and white decorations and tools,” said Ashley Papanikolas, Brand Communications & Community Manager at Wilton. “We are making it easier than ever to add a festive spin to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This time of year, there is no better gift than a homemade treat, baked with love.”
I agree! Shape anything in a heart and you’ve got a festive dessert – or even entree. Check out a recipe I created for Acme Fresh Market for a family Valentine’s Day meal: Heart Shaped Chicken Parmesan. This recipe uses heart cookie cutters for the chicken! You really can do just about anything with cookie cutters!
Check out all Wilton Valentine’s Day tools at your local grocery store and on Wilton.com.