This Spicy Blooming Onion is a crowd pleaser and perfect for parties any time of year. This guilt-free recipe has all the flavor you want without the extra calories because it is baked, not fried.
This is a sponsored post.
Spicy Blooming Onion Recipe
This Spicy Blooming Onion recipe is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
- 5 tbsp Rubarama Original No. 4 spice blend
- 3/4 c panko
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion I use Vidalia
- 1/4 c Milk
- 2 eggs
- Mix Rubarama Original No. 4, panko, and olive oil in small dish.
- Whisk together eggs and milk.
- Peel the outer layer of the onion. Cut the top off, leaving the bottom in tact.
- Make about 24 slices about 1/2" from the root.
- Place onion in an ice bath for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove onion from water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the Rubarama spices into all the crevices of the onion, shake off excess, reserving the excess.
- Pour the egg mixture over the entire onion, including the crevices as you gently peel the petals away from the center.
- Transfer onion to the Rubarama mix again for another coat. Press into place to get it to stick well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375° on a greased cooking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes, or until the onion is to the crispiness you desire.
- Or bake in an AirFyer at 360° for 20-30 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Serve hot with Ranch dressing.
The star of this recipe is Rubarama Original No. 4 spice blend. It adds an incredible kick to this recipe that makes it irresistible not to mention super easy to prepare.
There is no measuring multiple spices to get the right flavor, just add Rubarama to the panko and you have the perfect combination for a blooming onion.
The first step is to slice the onion into about 24 petals. I start by slicing the onion into quarters and then break it down further. Next, soak in water for at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove the onion and pat dry before adding the spices. Add the first layer of the Rubarama and panko mixture to onion, making sure to get into the crevices. You’ll have to release and pull down the petals.
Next, shake off excess onto a plate to be used later. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the onion, making sure to reach into all the crevices. Next, sprinkle the remaining Rubarama mixture to the onion. You can press some of the mixture to the outside of the onion to really get it to stick.
What makes this blooming onion guilt free is that we are baking it, not frying it in oil! Bake in a preheated oven at 375° for 45 minutes, or until the onion is at the crispiness you desire.
You can also bake it faster in an airfryer. If you bake it in the airfryer, you’ll cook it at 360° for about 20-30 minutes.
The result is a delicious, completely addicting Spicy Blooming Onion that will be devoured in no time. Serve it with ranch dressing.
Learn more about the spices that make this recipe delicious on the Rubarama website. Get social with Rubarama on Facebook and Pinterest.
Win $25 Gift Card and Rubarama Spice Blends
You have the chance to win a $25 Visa Gift Card, Rubarama Original No. 4 and Jack’s Blend!
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true: