This Protein Packed Buckeyes Recipe is a healthier twist on Peanut Butter Buckeye Candy. It includes extra protein by using a natural peanut butter and peanut powder. It contains less sugar since it is only sweetened with honey. This is a low carb, gluten-free dessert to be enjoyed without guilt anytime of year. Protein Packed Buckeyes are perfect for the holiday season and make excellent gifts as well.
This is a sponsored post for Jif.
Protein Packed Buckeyes Recipe
You won’t miss the extra sugar of traditional Buckeye Candy with this healthier version. I use Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter and Jif Peanut Powder to pack in the protein in this recipe.
My family enjoys a variety of Jif peanut butters, however Jif Natural peanut butter is our favorite. It is a no-stir natural peanut butter that is just as creamy and packed with 7 grams of protein per serving. We just starting using the new Jif Peanut Powder while baking, in smoothies, and more. It packs 8 grams of protein per serving.
- 3/4 c peanut butter I use Jif Naturals Creamy
- 1/4 c honey
- 7 tbsp Jif Peanut Powder
- 1/2 c Oats
- 1 c Dark Chocolate Chips or any variety
- 1 tbsp Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening
- Combine peanut butter, honey, peanut powder, and oats in a bowl.
- Form 1" balls and place in refrigerator or freezer for 1/2 hour or until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in a microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM for 30 seconds, stir. Repeat until mixture is smooth.
- Dip Protein Buckeyes with a toothpick into chocolate mixture, remove excess, and place on wax paper-lined tray.
- Keep refrigerated.
For this recipe, I tend to use less chocolate than regular peanut butter buckeyes to keep the “healthy” theme, however, you can use as little or as much as you’d like – in any variety.
Protein Packed Buckeyes are delicious during the holidays, as an after-school treat, and as a surprise in lunch boxes.
This recipe can easily be made gluten-free. Double check your chocolate chips to ensure they are gluten-free, usually Hershey’s and Nestle brands are fine.
Check out other delicious peanut butter recipes on the Jif website. You can purchase Jif peanut butter at retailers nationwide. Get social with Jif on Facebook and Twitter.