The Buzzards have been returning to Hinckley Park in Medina county from as early at 1810. Each year, on March 15th the buzzards have been known to return to their summer home of Hinckley Park. The Buzzards returning to Hinckely marks the beginning of Spring in NE Ohio. It has been recorded that these Turkey Buzzards have been in the Hinckley Park area since 1818. The legend has it that there was a big animal hunt in 1818, unwanted game was left frozen over the winter. During the Spring thaw, the buzzards were drawn to the area and have been returning every since.
Buzzards (turkey vultures) weigh between 3 – 6 pounds with an impressive wingspan up to 6 feet. These mighty birds are mostly scavengers, but do hunt from altitudes of 200 feet, but have been observed during migration flying 5,000 feet high in the sky.
Join the Annual Buzzards Day Celebration
The 1st celebration of the Buzzards return to Hinckley park started in 1957 with a crowd of 9,000 people. Each year, the park organizes a family-fun event that is FREE. This is the 54th year celebration of the Buzzards Return to Hinckely. The 1st Sunday after March 15th is the Buzzards Day Celebration. This year, it is March 20, 2011 from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Buzzards Day Activities
Hikes & Tours:
• Hikes: 9:15 a.m. “Early Bird”, 10:45 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
• Bus Tours of Hinckley Reservation: 10:15, 11:15 a.m., 12:15, & 1:15 p.m.
• Live Birds of Prey Programs: 10, 11:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.
• Storytelling: 9:30, 11 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
• Live Music with “The Buzzard Boilers”: 10 a.m. & 1 p.m.
• Buzzard Bingo: 9, 10, 11 a.m., noon, 1, & 2 p.m.
• EarthWords Nature Shop selling unique buzzard merchandise!
Exhibits and Other Activities:
• Wingspan Display
• Buzzard Mural Photo Opportunity
• Nature Tracks
• Buzzard Scoreboard
• Institute of the Great Outdoors
• Voyaguer Encampment
• Buzzard Nest – Bean Bag Toss
• Refreshments for sale
Buzzards Day is held in Hinckley, OH near Hinckley Lake off of Bellus and State Roads. For more information, call 330-278-2066