With much of the country dealing with very cold temperatures this week, I thought I’d share a favorite Beef and Barley Soup Recipe. It goes together simply, is hearty, and makes use of barley – one of my favorite high-fiber, high protein grains! And the longer it simmers, the more body the broth gets.
Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
Beef and Barley Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 pound stew meat cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 5 1/2 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
Beef and Barley Soup Recipe Directions
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, onions and garlic. Saute until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, and all remaining ingredients EXCEPT frozen veggies.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour. If needed, add more broth.
- Stir in frozen veggies.
- Cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Comment Via Facebook