The following Black Forest Cake Recipe is a favorite wherever it is served at my house. It is easy to transport take to a party or potluck. This is a moist, indulging recipe. The recipe is easy.
- 1 Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix prepared as directed (usually need 3 eggs, 1/4 c oil, & 1-1/2 c water)
- 1 -2 Cans Cherry Pie Filling ( 21 ounces)
- 1 Jar Maraschino Cherries (10 ounces), well drained (optional)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tb fine granulated sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 ts vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9 X 13″ baking pan or use shortening and dust with flour.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box.
- Drain the Maraschino Cherries and lightly pat dry. Stir Maraschino Cherries into cake batter. (Optional)
- Pour into prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- Pour cherry pie filling over the top. (Use 1 can if you are adding the Maraschino Cherries, or up to 2 cans if not adding the Maraschino Cherries.)
- Bake at 350F degrees 35-45 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with Cool Whip or serve with cool whip as consumed.
- Frost with Whipped Cream.
- Chill the bowl and beater about 10 min before use in the freezer.
- Beat cream with an electric mixer until cream begins to thicken with soft peaks forming.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until stiff.
I prefer the Whipped Cream topping and sometimes double the topping recipe.