If you are looking for a fresh dish tonight, try my Carne Asada recipe. Basically, it is thinly sliced, grilled beef served in flour or corn tortillas. You can use any type of beef you like, flank steak or skirt steak works great. This recipe feeds 4-6 and is moderate in difficulty.
- 2 lbs beef (flank steak, skirt steak or any steak if you butterfly cut or slice in half to thin it)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Flour or Corn Tortillas, 6-10
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Ingredients for Topping: (your choice)
- Cheese of your choice, shredded
- Onion of your choice, sliced
- Tomato, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream
- Green onions, chopped
- Combine marinade ingredients.
- Pour marinade over the steak. Refrigerate covered for 1-4 hours.
- Season both sides of marinated beef with salt and pepper.
- Grill the beef for about 3 minutes on each time until cooked to your tender preference.
- Let beef rest on cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Slice the beef across the grain on a diagonal, thinly.
We serve the Carne Asada with warm flour tortillas. Add any fresh toppings that you like including the ones listed above, could also add sour cream, salsa, avocados, lettuce, etc. This is a very fresh tasting dish, great any time of year.