Chicken Paprikash & Dumplings is a great comfort food dish. The rich color and creamy texture will warm your body & soul on a cold, winter day. The seasonings of paprika and vinegar give this dish a unique taste that will have you returning for a second helping. Add a fresh salad and green vegetable to balance out this meal. The recipe is moderate as it is not something whipped up in 1/2 hour, allow up to 1 hour to prepare this dish.
- 1-2 lbs chicken
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1 Large onion, diced
- Fry cut up chicken in ¾ to 1 stick of margarine and onions till golden brown.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Pour water enough to cover chicken.
- Cook slowly for about 45 minutes or until the center is not pink.
- Last 20 minutes thicken with milk and flour.
- Add vinegar to taste.
- Sift together 2 1/4 cup flour and 1 tsp. salt
- Add 1 egg well beaten.
- Add ¾ cup water water last and gradually until batter is stiff but smooth.
- Press dough flat on plate.
- With a sharp knife, scrape off dough into boiling salted water for 5-8 minutes.
Mix the chicken & gravy with the dumplings.