When I ask my kids what they want for dinner, more times than not, they will request pasta! Pasta is a family favorite for my family and probably yours too. There is a lot of confusion over how healthy pasta is or is not. You may be surprised to know that pasta offers a good source of nutrition including iron, folic acid, B-vitamins, calcium, vitamin D, and 2-5g of fiber in every serving. Plus, a 2 oz serving is only 210 calories. Your body needs carbs for fuel, pasta is excellent for your body – for your brain and energy.
One of my family’s favorite pasta lines is Creamette Pasta. They are celebrating their 100th anniversary. I have received several of their pastas as well as a colander and casserole baking dish to facilitate this post – and will be giving away a second set in the below giveaway to one lucky reader!
Macaroni Pie Recipe with Creamette Pasta
My family has several favorite pasta recipes but for this post, I wanted to try a new Creamette recipe called Macaroni Pie. You can find many delicious pasta recipes on the Creamette website.
Macaroni Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 8 oz CREAMETTE elbow macaroni or small shells
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c pasta sauce
- 1/4 c margarine or butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs, divided
Macaroni Pie Recipe Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Cook ground beef, onion and salt until beef is browned; drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce; simmer 10 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly.
- In another saucepan, melt margarine.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk, stir constantly until thickens. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs with a fork in medium size mixing bow.
- Stir in half of the white sauce; blend well.
- Return egg mixture to white sauce in saucepan.
- Heat 1 minute, stir constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese and pasta.
- Grease a 10-inch pie plate. Sprinkle 1/2 c bread crumbs evenly.
- Spread 2/3 of the elbow mixture on bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate to create the “pie crust.”
- Spread meat mixture over pasta.
- Top with remaining pasta mixture evenly over meat; sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Win $10,000 with Creamette® Comfort Food Recipe & Essay Contest
To celebrate their 100 year anniversary, Creamette is giving you the chance to win $10,000! Share your favorite comfort food recipes made with Creamette Pasta with an original essay of 100 words or less on a family mealtime memory involving that recipe. Enter the Creamette Comfort Food Recipe & Essay Contest here. 10 semifinalists will be chosen in June 2013 to participate in a nationwide online vote. If you become a semifinalist – please let us know on AkronOhioMoms.com!
Buy Creamette Pasta
You can buy Creamette Pasta at stores nationwide as well as in bulk on Amazon.com.
Win Creamette Pasta Share the Comfort Kit ($100 value)
You have the chance to win a Creamette Share the Comfort Kit that includes: ($100 value)
- Two boxes of Creamette® Pasta
- Two Creamette® Pasta recipe cards
- One colander
- One casserole baking dish
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook.
Contest ends at 11:59 pm EST on May 19, 2013 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond or another winner will be selected!
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to Creamette who provided products for review and giveaway.