I have been finding some really delicious recipes on Pillsbury.com this winter. My kids loved the Penne with Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe. I modified it a bit to include ingredients I had in my kitchen. My husband and kids asked me to make this again – it’s a keeper!
Pasta with Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Pasta with Italian Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. uncooked pasta – recipe calls for Penne but I used Rigatoni
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves – I used Giada De Laurentiis Genovese Basil Pesto, available at Target
- 6 hot or spicy Italian sausage links (about 1 1/2 lb.) – I used The Original Brat Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 oz. (1/4 cup) shredded fresh Asiago cheese – I used mozzarella.
Pasta with Italian Sausage and Peppers Instructions:
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain; return to saucepan.
- Add basil; toss to coat. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat large nonstick skillet until hot on medium heat.
- Add sausage, bell peppers and onion and cook 6 – 8 minutes (until sausage is browned)
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; mix.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 13 to 15 minutes covered.
- Serve over pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese.