We are all trying to live more conscious of being green and responsible. My kids are always super excited to ‘be green’ when they learn about it at school but then the fun of it goes away when they stop hearing about it at school. I try to live and lead a responsible life. Below are a few tips for your kids to claim ownership of greening their school routine.
- Turn off the lights – We remind our kids to turn off lights when they leave the room, including night lights and unplugging chargers for phones, tablets, etc.
- Recycle at home – Add this to their chores list so they see it isn’t an ‘option’ but expected
- Switch to a natural toothpaste like Tom’s of Maine’s Wicked Cool! – Kids love it and it is made with no dyes, saccharin, or artificial flavors
- Turn off the water -Remind kids to turn off the water while brushing their teeth – my kids are good at this one!
- Walk, ride the bus or carpool to school each day – Saves money and gas over having mom take you to school every day
- Participate or start school recycling program – My kids’ school recycle capri sun pouches, plastics, and chip bags.
- Participate or start school compost program – My kids’ school compost leftover food every day
- Bring reusable water bottle – This is great for lunch and to have in the classroom – better than throwing away juice boxes and plastic water bottles.
- Use Eco-friendly products – Many companies offer Eco-friendly products from school supplies to backpacks made with natural fibers
- Don’t waste supplies – Teach kids not to waste school and art supplies – use both sides of paper, don’t throw away a broken crayon – sharpen it or melt it for art, etc.
- Switch from plastic sandwich baggies to reusable containers when packing lunch.
- Shop fresh, organic, and local for your kids’ lunches
- Consider car-pooling for after-school sports and activities.
- Recycle and Compost at home.
- Recycle kids clothing as they outgrow them, pass them on to friends and family or donate.
Tom’s of Maine
My kids have been using Tom’s of Maine products for nearly a year now. They loved their strawberry toothpaste and we were given samples of the Wicked Cool! mint to check out and promotional items for this post. Tom’s of Maine products are eco-friendly and they contain no artificial flavors, dyes, or sweeteners so you can feel good about giving it to your children.
We just received the new Wicked Cool! toothpaste to try out. It is made for kids ages 8 and up. Wicked Cool! is the perfect transition for older kids who have outgrown the baby toothpaste fruit flavors but aren’t yet ready for the stronger adult flavors. Wicked Cool! has a mild mint flavor that is mild enough for kids ages 8 and up while giving their mouths a fresh, clean feeling all day. It is ADA-accepted to fight against cavities, strengthen enamel and freshen your breath. It doesn’t burn his mouth either. It is available with or without fluoride.
Pair it with Tom’s of Maine Children’s Anticavity Fluoride Rinse for added protection.
Like Tom’s of Maine on Facebook
Follow Tom’s of Maine on Twitter
Win Tom’s of Maine Greening Your Kids’ School Routine Giveaway ($150 value)
You have the chance to win a Tom’s of Maine Greening Your Kids’ School Routine Giveaway worth $150.
Includes: Water powered alarm clock, Ecogear backpack, Ecolunch box stainless steel container, IKEA Solar desk light, Tom’s Wicked Cool! toothpaste, and Juicy Mint mouthwash.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook.
30 Day Winning Rule applies. For complete contest rules, please see our Contest Statement and Blog Disclosure.
Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on October 23, 2013 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond or another winner will be selected!
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to Tom’s of Maine who provided the products for review and giveaway.