Outdoor potted plants add instant color and interest to your deck, porch, and even flower beds. Outdoor potted plants create inviting outdoor living spaces. In this post, I will share with you the basics on how to plant an outdoor potted plant. It is easier than you think and a lot of fun!
With the help from Niki from Springtime Flowers, I know have two gorgeous outdoor potted plants on our patio, creating a beautiful outdoor living space.
How to Plant an Outdoor Potted Plant
- Choose a pot designed to be outdoors with at least 1 hole at the bottom of the pot for drainage. You can add a saucer underneath to prevent leaking onto your deck.
- Use a good potting soil that contains Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and lime. Fill up to about 1″ form top, patting soil lighting.
- Decide what plants you want included based on if it will be in the shade or sunlight. Play with them by arranging them on the floor of the nursery to see what colors and styles of plants you like best. Below is a colorful selection for an outdoor potted plant for the shade.
Niki explained to me that many people buy a flat of smaller, younger plants, for roughly the same amount of money, you can buy larger flowers that have a good 6-8 weeks of growing already done. With Ohio’s short growing season, it makes more sense to get 3 medium size pots of flowers instead of a flat.
- Dig a small hole for each plant and place your flowers in the soil and cover with soil to the base of the plant.
We started by planting an ornamental grass in the center of the pot.
Next, we added 3 geraniums.
Then, we added 3 sweet potato plants.
As you can see, our potted plant is quite mature with the larger plants but there is still plenty of room to grow. If you wanted to plant your outdoor potted plant earlier in the season indoors, or even have a nursery like Springtime Flowers start one for you, you could start with smaller plants. I like that I can already enjoy my planter with the larger plants.
- Water the plant until all the soil is wet but not saturated.
Isn’t it beautiful?
I received product to facilitate this post.
If you are local to NE Ohio, check out Springtime Flowers, conveniently located at 3225 Greenwich Rd in Norton, OH 44203. It is easily accessible via I-76, 277, and 21. They have 4 greenhouses filled with beautiful annuals that are perfect for Ohio gardening – both landscaping and potted plants. When I met the 3rd generation family owner and operator of Springtime Flowers, I could immediately see the passion Niki has for her business and her customers. She is so helpful and takes great pride in providing the healthiest, fullest flowers in the Norton, Barberton, Copley, Bath, Akron, and Medina area.
They also have an amazing assortment of pre-made hanging baskets and planters.
Check out more flowers to choose from on their photo gallery.
Like Springtime Flowers on Facebook
3225 Greenwich Rd
Norton, OH 44203
Open Monday – Saturday 9am – 7-m and Sunday 10am – 5pm. May be closed during heavy storms for safety.
Win $25 Gift Certificate from Springtime Flowers
You have the chance to win a $25 gift certificate from Springtime Flowers!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook
30 Day Winning Rule applies. For complete contest rules, please see our Contest Statement and Blog Disclosure.
Contest ends at 11:59 pm EST on June 5, 2014 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond or another winner will be selected!