That is the question asked by Intel through their “What Inspires You to Learn?” contest. Kids can tell Intel their answer for a chance to win a Toshiba laptop with Intel 2nd Generation Core i5 technology for you, and a Sony Internet TV for their school. The What Inspires You to Learn? contest runs June 13- August 15, 2011.
How do you inspire your child to learn?
Although this contest is for kids much older than my own, it has made me think about how I inspire my children to learn. Each child is different, what motivates one child won’t do a thing for another. As a mom to a 4 year old girl and a 6 year old boy, I’ve found that showing interest and enthusiasm for what each child enjoys helps inspire them to do their best. It’s not the same for Elijah or Elizabeth!
Finding a way to incorporate what my kids individually like with ways to learn the same thing can be challenging. I’ve learned a lot from my son’s kindergarten teacher this past year on how to use various types of active, visual, listening, and hands-on activities to engage my son who would much rather just play outside!
One thing that I have used to encourage and inspire my kids to learn is using everyday activities and events as learning opportunities. From the grocery store to the park, there are endless ways to engage kids in learning. Plus, I am totally transparent with my kids. If I don’t know an answer to a question, I tell them, then we research for the answer. When I show how excited I am to learn a new thing, it is contagious.
What Inspires You to Learn? Contest
Summer is not a break from learning, it is an excellent time for parents and kids to engage in active learning. Why not suggest to your kids ages 14-18 to use the What Inspires You to Learn Contest as a way for them to explore their learning style and a chance to express themselves for a chance to win big.
How to Enter What Inspires You to Learn? Contest
- Your name
- Telephone number
- Answer to the question, “What inspires you to learn?”.
The answer to “What inspires you to learn?” must be at least 50 words. Kids can demonstrate their inspiration further by adding photos, videos or other multimedia content to their entry. Each entry will be judged by a panel of experts, so be sure to make yours creative to set it apart from the other entries.
If your kids need some ideas, they can see what other kids have done in their own schools on IdeaJam: Education videos on YouTube.
What Inspires You to Learn Contest Rules
Full detailed rules for What Inspires You to Learn Contest can be found here.
- Contest is open to students age 14 – 18. If you are 14-17 years old, ask your parent or guardian to read the contest rules and enter on your behalf.
- E-mail your name, age, state, telephone number and answer to the question, “What inspires you to learn?” to email@example.com (minimum 50 words)
- You can include links to original photos, videos or other multimedia content that will add to your entry. Please only submit content that is appropriate at your school and that you would submit to your teacher. If you include content with someone in it, be sure that you have their written permission. You cannot use copyrighted material in your entry, unless you have specific written permission from the copyrighted material owner
- Entries will be judged by a panel of Intel and education experts based upon: (1) Relevance to the question, “What inspires you to learn?” (80%), (2) compelling nature of entry, including supplementary materials submitted
- Complete contest rules http://bit.ly/IdeaJamEducationRules