Once we put the lawnmower away for the Summer, I’ve always thought that my lawn care was done until Spring. That is a common mistake people make.
There are very important lawn care needs that you should take care of to ensure a better yard next Spring. We have been working with TruGreen this season and have noticed a remarkable difference with just 2 applications. I can’t wait to see how our yard will benefit from TruGreen next Summer!
I was able to get some great tips from TruGreen on how to prepare your lawn for winter.
- Boost Curb Appeal: We have had a beautiful Fall in Ohio. Fall is the best time to replace or remove dead or floundering plants – which will instantly improve your curb appeal! Fall is an excellent time to plan new trees too – be sure to dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Now is also the time to seed bare spots or oversee areas to have a thicker yard next year. (We did this!)
- Mow as Needed: You should continue mowing while your grass is growing, just be sure to only cut no more than 1/3 the leaf blades.
- Core Aeration: Core aeration is great for increasing the flow of air, water, and nutrients to the roots of grass. This machine takes out plugs of turf, thatch and soil from your yard. Honestly, it looks like animal droppings the first couple days before they break down and back into your yard. (We have done this with every yard we have had and it helps every time.)
- Feed the Roots: Feeding your lawn and landscapes will give everything the extra energy needed for good spring growth.
- Spot Concerns: We all have spots in our yards that are bald, brown, or full of weeds. Professionals like TruGreen can give you an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan. Take care of it now.
- Quench Yard’s Thirst: With all the rain we have had in Ohio this season – near record breaking, it is hard to think about watering our grass. However, a regular, deep watering 1-2 inches a week) in morning through late fall will provide water needed to keep cool-season grasses (e.g. bluegrass, fescue, rye) healthy. It is important to do infrequent, deep watering for a deeper, stronger root system. If you water less but more often, it gives you the opposite effect.
How can TruGreen Prepare Lawn for Winter?
Working with TruGreen makes everything easy and your lawn better than ever. TruGreen customizes every treatment to their customer’s needs. TruGreen certified specialists are trained in weather and growing conditions in your exact area, so they know what is best for your lawn.
Your TruGreen specialist will provide you with a detailed visual lawn analysis, specialized fall weed & feed, and lawn aeration to prepare your lawn for winter with their fall lawn recovery package. TruGreen services don’t stop with the lawn, they also offer tree and shrub care services to help the roots and foliage recover from summer heat and prepare for colder weather.
This is the perfect time of year to get your yard in shape, call TruGreen at 866-549-9077 to get your lawn prepared for winter.
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to TruGreen who supplied the services for review and the ongoing relationship with AkronOhioMoms.com. Check out the TruGreen website to get your yard started in the right direction.