When you are a mom-to-be, there are so many questions you want to ask, things you need to know and memories and events that you want to keep track of. Now, thanks to the new WebMD Pregnancy app, you can do all of those things (and more) right on your iPhone.
“I’m really thrilled about this app as a pediatrician and as a mom because it [has] everything that a mom-to-be needs and wants,” said Dr. Hansa Bhargava, WebMD’s expert pediatrician.
Dr. Bhargava and her team interviewed 840 women prior to developing the app to find out exactly what women were looking for from a pregnancy app. And what they found is that a majority of women go to multiple sources for pregnancy-related information. That fact really fueled them to make an all-inclusive app that had all the trusted information, health and wellness monitoring and fun features that women are looking for.
“It’s got everything you need in one place so you don’t have to go to multiple sources. And it’s mobile; you can get [the information] anytime, anywhere.”
WebMD Pregnancy App For iPhone Features
Dr. Bhargava’s top three favorite things about the app are:
- The trusted, physician-approved and personalized information. “One of the things that makes our [app] so unique [is that] we have doctors that are in house so every piece of information is accurate and doctor approved.” The app allows you to customize your content and information by entering your due date, if it’s a multiple pregnancy or if there are any pre-existing family conditions. The app will then push you relevant information, such as when you can expect to feel your baby’s first kick or when you can should undergo certain screenings. “So not only is there information that you may want to seek out, but it actually pushes information that you may not know that you need. And it’s all physician-driven.”
- It improves patient-doctor communication. The ‘Ask My Doctor’ feature provides you with a list of the most common questions to ask your doctor at each visit. “[This] is a big deal because when you go in to see your doctor, you’re in and out in 10 minutes. This essentially preps you for your doctor’s visit by giving you the questions you should ask and provides a place where you can put her answers in and email them or share them with your spouse or partner.” You can also record your stats from each doctor’s visit such as weight, blood pressure and upcoming appointments.
- It’s got fun features. Fun features of the WebMD pregnancy app include a journal, a place to store your sonogram photos, to-do lists and a baby-bump slideshow. “The belly slideshow lets you take pictures of your belly every few weeks and make a slideshow and share it with all your friends. And the to-do list feature has lists of what you should get for your nursery or what you need for when you go to the hospital or other to-do lists that you may not even think of.”
But Dr. Bhargava’s favorite fun feature is the journal, based off her own pregnancy experience. “When I was going through my pregnancy I had these little pieces of paper that were given to me by my OB/GYN and pictures of the ultrasound that were floating around my house. And then I had a notebook where I was putting down my thoughts. So the fun features that I love as a mom is basically the personal journal.” The journal has chapters to chronicle your pregnancy: you’re your baby shower, things your partner did for you that were really sweet, what your cravings were and even pictures. It is also shareable via email and on Facebook.
As extensive and helpful as the app is, Dr. Bhargava reminds all moms-to-be that they should always talk to their doctor about any major questions or concerns they have regarding their pregnancy or the health an well being of themselves or their baby. “The information is trustable, but if you have any questions definitely talk to your doctor. Your doctor really needs to talk to you or see you,to help her constitute a diagnosis or help you in the way that you need.”
The new WebMD app is free and available for download on the iPhone.
Win WebMD Gift Basket Giveaway
To celebrate the launch of their new app, WebMD is giving away a gift basket full of new-mommy goodies including cotton muslin bibs, and a hooded bath towel and wash cloth from aden + anais, a SwaddleDesigns swaddling blanket, a Vicks digital rectal thermometer and an issue of WebMD, the magazine. To enter the contest, download the free app and then share with us in the comments below what you like most about it. One commenter from our audience will be selected at random to win. The contest runs through March 29th.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. In order to comply with the latest Facebook Promotion Guidelines (revised 5/11/11), the following statements are true:
* Giveaway participants release Facebook from any responsibility whatsoever.
* Giveaways on this blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
* Giveaway participants are providing information to this blog and giveaway sponsors only; not to Facebook.
Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on March 29, 2013 when a winner will be drawn at random. I will notify the winners and they will have 36 hours to respond or another winner will be selected!
This was not a paid post. My own opinions were used based on my perceptions and experience. Thank you to WebMD who provided us with the products for the giveaway.