Our Kohlrabi Hash with Caramelized Onions Dip is delicious for brunch, appetizer, snack, or side dish. Made with small young kohlrabi and specialty potatoes from Farmer Jones Farm at the Chef’s Garden, this flavorful dish is flavorful and unique.
If you haven’t had kohlrabi before, you are in for a treat. kohlrabi, especially young kohlrabi adds crunch and mild spice to anything whether enjoyed raw in a salad or cooked. Adding kohlrabi to your diet is a great idea since it is a superfood loaded with nutrition and low in calories. This vegetable is also called a German turnip or wild cabbage – similar to a broccoli or Brussels sprouts. It has a texture of a potato or apple so it mixes well with potatoes in this hash recipe or in a slaw recipe.
- 5 Small Young Kohlrabi peeled and diced
- 5 Small Potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Fresh Black Pepper
- 4 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel skin from kohlrabi and potatoes, dice to desired size.
- Place kohlrabi, potatoes, and parsley in bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper. Place kohlrabi mixture on sheet pan in a single layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes or until kohlrabi and potatoes are soft, yet browned.
- Peel the onions and slice them very thinly. Heat the butter over medium heat in large skillet. Saute onions for 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Onions should be deeply golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine sour cream, Greek yogurt, fresh parsley, paprika, and parmesan cheese.
- Add cooled onions to sour cream mixture.
Enjoy this hash with a dollop of caramelized onion dip on top or on the side. It is an amazing combination that your family will devour!
People are choosing to get their produce from Farmer Jones Farm at the Chef’s Garden for their unique specialty produce that can’t be found in local stores or farm stands. Now, home cooks like you and I can receive the same delicious and nutrient-dense vegetables as the best professional chefs, delivered right to your door!
The Chef’s Garden use to exclusively sell to professional chefs before the pandemic, now through Farmer Jones Farm, we can all receive specialty and heirloom vegetables for our families. Cooking with unique vegetables is not only exciting for people like me that enjoy cooking and baking but it adds new life to dishes with new flavors! My family loves it!
Adding specialty produce adds new nutrients to your diet that offers health benefits too. Kohlrabi is nutrient-rich with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, Potassium, and Fiber. Now more than ever, we need to give our nutrition and health #1 priority.
I suggest starting with a Best of the Season’s Box that is filled with fresh lettuce, mixed greens, spinach, summer squash, asparagus, English peas, wax beans, tomatoes, a mixture of fresh beets, carrots, and/or kohlrabi, and the best microgreens.