Homemade Mac and Cheese is always a crowd-pleaser and easier than you think to make. Add a powerhouse of vitamins by adding mixed greens! Once your kids get over the shock of a little green in their mac and cheese, they will be overwhelmed with the cheesy deliciousness and eat it up! Mine did!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2.5 cups macaroni
- 4 cups greens
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Green Onions chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup 2% or Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook macaroni as directed, draining right before it is tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Butter and base-line a deep 9" springform tin. Wrap the bottom of the tin with aluminum foil to protect from leaks.
- Saute green onions and garlic in butter, add greens and cook until wilted.
- Cook greens until wilted.
- Whisk eggs, creams and milk together. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan and all of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir in macaroni and cooked greens mixture.
- Add mixture to springform pan. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in tin for 15 minutes while loosely covered with foil.
- Remove sides from springform pan and place on serving tray. Cut into wedges and enjoy!
What makes Mac and Cheese with Greens Pie different from ordinary mac and cheese is obviously the greens! These aren’t ordinary greens either, these mixed greens are restaurant-quality from Farmer Jones Farm at the Chef’s Garden. You won’t mind the all the cheese and cream in this delicious recipe when you realize the amazing health benefits of adding these rich leafy greens to this recipe and your family’s diet! Greens are not common in grocery stores minus the salad greens and collard greens. Farmer Jones mixed greens are what you’d find at a fancy restaurant – but now you can have them delivered to your door right now in their Best of the Season’s Box!
I love receiving the Best of the Season’s Box because it promises a variety of unique vegetables and herbs – many of which I’ve never even had the pleasure of trying before – and I’m quite the cook! No worries though if you aren’t a seasoned cook, Farmer Jones has many delicious recipes on their website.
For me, I love the convenience – no doubt – of having super fresh produce from local Huron, Ohio. But more than that, I love the variety of super fresh vegetables and herbs that my family can enjoy the nutritional benefits from. Now more than ever, we have to pay close attention to our diets and health to fight of viruses! Adding greens is a simple and flavorful way to add a seriously useful amount of vitamin C, to support your immune system plus vitamin K, vitamin A, iron, Vitamin B-6, magnesium and natural compounds, such as sulforaphane and indoles to our diets. Variety is key when it comes to nutrition.
Beyond nutrition, taste is important too! Your family will love this twist on the classic mac and cheese we all know and love. Plus, baking it in a springform pan – although not necessary – makes this a unique and fun looking entree too!
Cut a hearty slice for each of your family members – serve with a leafy salad if you dare add even more healthy food to dinner and a side of fresh cut watermelon for the ultimate family dinner!
Check out more nutrient-dense vegetables in the Best of the Season’s Box that is filled with fresh lettuce, mixed greens, spinach, summer squash, asparagus, English peas, wax beans, tomatoes, a mixture of fresh beets, carrots, and/or kohlrabi, and the best microgreens.