The first of the school year can be stressful for kids – new classes, new teachers, new rules, harder homework.
Let’s face it, sometimes they need a little extra TLC from mom, especially during the start of a new school year.
Treat your kids to a delicious after-school snack with my Triple Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars recipe. It is guaranteed to put a big smile on any kid’s face, no matter how tough their day was.
I received compensation, product and a promotional item to facilitate this post.
Triple Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars Recipe
My kids love the peanut butter and chocolate combination. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to enjoy peanut butter treats at school due to other students’ allergies. That is totally understandable and why I prepare delicious peanut butter treats for my kids at home.
I enjoy experimenting in my kitchen but don’t have a lot of time to create recipes from scratch, that is why I rely on delicious baking products from Pillsbury.
For instance, Pillsbury cake mixes can make more than just yummy cakes and cupcakes. You can add them to all kinds of recipes to make new recipes like cake mix cookies or add cake mix to other recipes for added flavor and texture, which is exactly what I did to create this Triple Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars recipe.
For the bottom layer, I created a large chocolate cookie layer by mixing Pillsbury Traditional Chocolate Cake mix with eggs and oil. This is the same way you can make cake mix cookies, only you drop the batter by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet to bake. You can also add in all sorts of candies and nuts for a endless number of cake mix cookie combinations.
My family loves Rice Krispies Treats and even more so when I add a little Pillsbury Traditional Vanilla (or other flavor) to them. The cake mix takes them to the next level and makes them so decadent. Add peanut butter and you’ve created a masterpiece! You’ll notice that when adding cake mix and peanut butter, the batter is much thicker than traditional Rice Krispies Treats, but the taste is so much richer!
Did you know that you could microwave Pillsbury frosting to create a pourable glaze or faux fondant? I just microwaved Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Chocolate Fudge frosting for a 10 seconds for this recipe. It is super easy and adds a layer of richness to any dessert. Finally, I added our favorite peanut butter and chocolate candies.
This recipe is easy, check it out!
- 1 Pillsbury Classic Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c Oil
- 1/3 c Pillsbury Classic Vanilla Cake Mix
- 40 Marshmallows
- 3 TBSP Salted Butter
- 1/2 c Jif Peanut Butter
- 5 c Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/2 c Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups I used about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 c Reese's Pieces Candies Baking Candies about 1/2 cup
- Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Chocolate Fudge Frosting as desired
- For the Bottom Chocolate Cookie Layer:
- Stir Pillsbury Classic Chocolate Cake Mix, eggs and oil together.
- Spread into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (or for convection oven bake at 340 degrees for 10-13 minutes.)
- Cool completely.
- For the Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Layer:
- Melt butter and marshmallow in microwave at 50% power for 45 seconds, stir well. Continue to heat until completely melted.
- Stir in Jif peanut butter until completely mixed together. (You could also microwave the peanut butter into mixture 10-20 seconds at a time until melted.)
- Stir in Pillsbury Classic Vanilla Cake Mix a little at a time.
- Stir in Rice Krispies cereal 1 cup at a time. Mixture will thicken as the cereal is added.
- Fold in about 1/4 c Reese's Pieces candies.
- Place Peanut Butter Rice Krispies layer on top of the cooled chocolate cookie layer, pressing down with a oil sprayed spatula until flat.
- Melt as much Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Chocolate Fudge Frosting as you'd like in a glass container in microwave for 10-15 seconds, stir.
- Drizzle as much melted frosting as you'd like on top of the bars.
- Add Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Reese's Pieces Candies on top.
- Once cooled, cut and serve.
- Wrap in plastic wrap to store.
My family enjoys the peanut butter and chocolate combination, however this recipe can be altered to include your favorite combinations.
Mini M&Ms would taste great with or without the peanut butter in the Rice Krispies layer.
Adding chopped Heath bars or Snickers would taste delicious!
Adding salted caramel chocolates and drizzled with heated Pillsbury Caramel Frosting would be amazing, so would adding pecans and the caramel frosting for Turtle bars.
You could even experiment with different Pillsbury Cake flavors for the cookie layer like Pillsbury Strawberry or Pineapple Cake Mix. Add Pillsbury Funfetti Cake Mix to the Rice Krispies layer, drizzle with a fruitier Pillsbury Frosting like Strawberry or Lemon and top it off with sprinkles, coconut, or dried fruits.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to the delicious flavor combinations that Pillsbury has to offer your family.
I hope that you will try my Triple Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars Recipe or that I have inspired you to create a special after-school treat for your kids this year.
Comment below and tell me what you bake for your kids!