The ultimate goal of a family camping trip is FUN. However, if you are an inexperienced camper, you may find challenges such as these can ruin that fun.
- Figuring out where to camp
- Knowing how to set up the tent, kitchen and common areas
- Planning food beyond smores!
- Understanding campfire etiquette – where and how to build a fire, gathering fuel, and taking steps to prevent starting a forest fire
- Having all the necessary gear including sleeping bags, sleeping pads, cooking equipment, flashlights, and fresh water
- Preparing and understanding the weather
- How to keep family engaged day and night
How to Get the Most Satisfaction from a Family Camping Trip
Western River Expeditions is a Utah-based company that has been conducting outdoor rafting and camping excursions for guests since 1961. They have helped those DIY campers turn their camping trip into an unforgettable outdoor vacation!
It’s ok to take the more stress-free trail to camping under the stars by going with trained and knowledgeable professionals who can not only identify the Big Dipper, spot a big horn sheep on the cliffs and prepare hearty meals three times per day, but who also have the knowledge and preparation for handling unpredictable weather and creating a spectacular outdoor journey for families, couples and solo travelers.
“We make wilderness adventure easy,” said Brandon Lake, co-owner and company CMO. “All you have to do is show up with your duffle bag of personal belongs (based on a suggested list) and we provide the rest.”
Here’s what “the rest” includes on every Western River Expedition: deluxe tents and cots, comfortable camp chairs, delicious Dutch-oven dinners, buffet breakfasts, and lunches, expertly trained guides, and top-quality rafts and equipment. While some outfitters impose additional fees for camping gear and rafting equipment, Western River bundles everything together.
After decades of making camping easy for its guests, here are a few of the many benefits to families by engaging in The Western River Expeditions Way:
- Camping is a learning experience for kids, with guides serving as role models on how to conduct best practices in the wilderness
- Parents can sit back and relax, because these same guides do most of the work, leaving families time together to bond and play
- Chefs who are veterans when it comes to preparing incredible campfire meals understand and follow health department standards when it comes to storage and preparation—techniques that can be lost in the DIY world
- Activities are planned to engage children and adults alike: hikes, beach games, arts and crafts, swimming, songs around the campfire and stargazing
- A portable toilet and hand wash system is set up each day in camp in a secluded location that assures proper hygiene and privacy
The camping locales may vary, but many of the same sensory and magical experiences can be found in all of the regions where Western River Expeditions introduces the secrets of the wilderness – and universe – to active families. (
Get started on a Western River Expeditions family trip!
- 5 Day Desolation Canyon Rafting Trip, Green River, Utah – Suitable for kids 5 and up
- 4 Day Cataract Canyon Rafting Trip, Colorado River, Utah – Mini Grand Canyon in scope, scenery and quality of whitewater
- 3-4 Day Grand Canyon River Trip (2022 sold out – good availability still for 2023)