It is easier than you think to give your child the best start at a healthy smile for life. Get your child into a good oral health routine early to establish life-long positive habits (if you don’t , they will have life-long negative dental care habits). It doesn’t have to be complicated, these simple dental tips will give your child healthy teeth for life.
Healthy Teeth for Life Starts Here: 5 Dental Tips for Kids
- Brush teeth for two minutes 2X a day – never skip this essential tip on how to have a healthy smile! Remember, kids don’t have the skills to brush their teeth completely on their own until they are 7 or 8 years old. Assist and teach when they are young and do a quick inspection to ensure all teeth surfaces are clean when they are older.
- Floss at least once a day – Start flossing once your child has teeth that touch. Flossing gets between teeth and below the gum line to remove plaque and tarter build up.
floss before you brush your teeth so that the fluoride from your toothpaste can reach in between your teeth. Floss before brushing to allow fluoride in toothpaste to get between the teeth.
- Avoid Sticky Candy and Food. Sticky foods stick to your teeth and stay on the teeth for prolonged periods of time which can lead to cavities. Choose naturally sweetened candy that is actually good for your teeth. If you choose to give your child a sticky food (raisins, fruit snacks, sticky candy) then offer water with it. You can also choose to give those sticky foods with a meal or before brushing.
- Drink with a straw. Kids love drinking from a straw especially if you give them fun loopy straws. Besides it being fun, using a straw prevents sugar and acid from drinks (soda, juice, sugary drinks) from coming in as much contact with your teeth. Better yet, drink water!
- Schedule a routine cleaning and exam every 6 months for your child. Dental check ups are important for so many reasons including the fact that cleanings remove plaque and debris from hard to reach places and your child’s teeth are changing rapidly. Make your first pediatric dental appointment at least by the time they are 2 years old.
Local in Akron? Choose Dr. Adam Pollock D. D.S. Pediatric Dentistry
There are many reasons why you should choose a pediatric dentist over a general practice dentist. We have been seeing Dr. Adam Pollock Pediatric Dentistry in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio for the past 7 years. They are friendly, helpful, and professional in every manner – they make the visit pleasant for children, erasing the fear of going to the dentist with their gentle approach and caring attitudes. We consider our pediatric dentist checkups twice a year as important as brushing for two minutes twice a day.
If you are looking for a caring pediatric dentistry in the greater Akron, Ohio area, contact Dr. Adam Pollock Pediatric Dentistry today.
Dr. Adam Pollock D. D.S. Pediatric Dentistry
1707 Portage Trail
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm
Saturdays 9am – 1pm
Dr. Adam Pollock Pediatric Dentistry is conveniently located in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, just minutes from Akron, Stow, Munroe Falls, Kent, Hudson, Peninsula, Tallmadge, Ellet, Copley, and Fairlawn, Ohio.